Our country has very high innovation potential. However, the conversion ratio from innovation to the marketable product is very low. There are programme to support innovative ideas to prototype development or towards entrepreneurship development. But the need had been felt to extend support in the form of hand-holding in identifying the market, conducting market research, assessment of business potential, preparing business plan, structuring & negotiating the deals for technology transfer / commercialization, etc.
Towards bridging this gap, during 2009, TIFAC had initiated Technology Refinement and Marketing Programme (TREMAP), to work towards pushing the innovative technologies, up the commercialization cycle, towards market through a network of Technology Commercialization Facilitators (TCFs) and establishing an enabling ecosystem for the same.
TREMAP is a unique program which is designed for supporting the country’s innovation pool by pushing the innovative technologies from the prototype stage towards a viable commercial product through a network of Technology Commercialization Facilitators (TCFs). The programme provides opportunities for an early assessment of innovative technologies by identifying their market potential and provides the required support (marketing, operational and financial support) towards commercialization.
The objective of the programme is to facilitate linkages of the innovative technologies and developed products with market.
- Only those technologies (innovations) are considered where at least the working prototype of the innovation is ready and the innovator himself / herself has not been able to take the innovation to the market.
- Techno-commercial assessment of innovative technologies for their marketability and potential towards commercialization.
- Minor refinement of technologies (if required) for enhancing their market acceptability and value addition.
- To bring out a technology package in association with expert /partner agencies, innovator etc.
- To spread the TCF network in the country which in a long run would act like a one stop shop for all the technology commercialization needs of the innovators and would in turn spur commercialization activities in the country.